Springfield School Volunteers mourns the loss of our longtime volunteer and friend Mrs. Alberta “Dolly” Howard, who recently passed away at the age 109! Mrs. Howard began volunteering with SSV in the 1980s when she served as a member of our Advisory Council. However, reading with kids was what she loved most, and she did that regularly well into her 90s. Most of her volunteer work was done at DeBerry School, where her beloved son Paris worked for many years. Mrs. Howard’s passion for reading and dedication to their students made such an impression on the staff at DeBerry that they created “Dolly’s Reading Corner” in her honor. SSV honored Dolly at our 50th Anniversary Gala in 2019 for her many years of service. Dolly’s legacy will live on through all those she has already touched and through future generations of readers.
Thank you for your interest! There are currently no open volunteer opportunities, however we are always accepting applications. Please complete a Volunteer Application and CORI form to get started or contact us to see if your current CORI is still valid. Please check back soon for updates!
Kevin has been volunteering with SSV for over 6 months, connecting with students and teachers alike.
Name: Kevin West I am a: Library Assistant and Math Tutor Van Sickle Middle School. I have been a Springfield School Volunteer for: 6 months. I became a Library Assistant and Tutor because: An article I read on MassLive.com indicated Van Sickle Middle School only had a 56 percent graduation rate. I wondered, what happens to the other 44 percent? I thought I could help Van Sickle Middle School by volunteering and looked for available positions on the Springfield School Volunteers website. By being a Library Assistant and Tutor I have learned: Children will only go as far as we take them. As an African-American male I see certain children gravitate towards me and I know my presence matters. I’ve learned that my actions and interactions with the students and teachers can have a profound and continuing effect. My favorite thing about mentoring/tutoring is: As simple as seeing the smiles on students faces. If they’re happy, I’m happy!
“I have been participating in the Read Aloud Program for the past 10 years and had planned to make this my last year, but my experience was so heartwarming and I loved every minute of [it.] I am anxious to return next month.”
– Marjorie Hurst, Volunteer
Marjorie Hurst, Volunteer
“Thank you very much. I just wanted to say that helping in our schools has truly been a life changing event for me. I should be paying them for letting me help.”
– Don Dorn, Jr., Volunteer at Samuel Bowles School
Don Dorn, Jr., Volunteer at Samuel Bowles School
Join Our Mailing List
Stay informed about news, events and opportunities.
1550 Main Street, 3rd Floor
Springfield, MA 01103
413.787.7100 Ext. 55697